Friday, April 11, 2008

 

Whatever Happened to our Liberal Values on Sex?

I posted a few days ago in Max Mosley's 'exposure', opining that I derived a rather guilty pleasure from reading about it but that it was essentially his business. Today I read Alexander Chancellor expressing astonishment that:

'Mosley sees no reason to resign as president of the FIA, the formula one governing body, and apparently feels no sense of shame. He insists he has "done nothing wrong" and that his behaviour in the prostitutes' den was "harmless and completely legal".

Well, I'm astonished that Alexander is astonished. For two excellent reasons:

1. Mosley is a public figure of sorts but he is not elected by the public and the FIA is not a public body.

2. Chancellor implies quite clearly, that he disapproves of such sado-masochistic goings-on. Well, so what? He's old enough, at 68, to know that sexual tastes are amazingly diverse; my view is that whatever people get up to in private is their own business. OK, I might be interested in finding out about such business but it most definitely is not my business or anyone else's.

The only aspect of the affair on which Mosley is vulnerable is the accusation of anti-semitism; no organisation would wish to have in charge of it someone subscribing to the vilest prejudice of the 20th century. To check this out I also viewed the NoW video which we can now see quite legally courtesy of a high court judge. I have to say that it is pitiful; pitiful that is, from the outrage point of view. It is so tame as to be risible. The girl in the 'concentration camp uniform' was merely wearing a striped prison uniform in my opinion. The 'prostitute' is heard ordering poor old Max to obey in a voice which sounds as if it was formed in a girl's private school.

She is then seen whacking his bare bottom with a whip a few times and then he is seen sipping tea with his coven of scarlet wantons. Even Ian Paisley might have seen this and not called down the wrath of God upon Mosley. Oh boy, Mr Chancellor, you must have been born in Victorian times to disapprove of this harmless frottage. Max may well lose his job over all this, but it will be without any moral foundation of which I can think.

Comments:
I agree entirely, but wonder if there isn't one point from commercial considerations (not moral or legal), namely that Moseley's organisation depends on selling a product (motor racing) to the public, and therefore shouldn't damage his product's marketability. Having been exposed so to speak (albeit very much against his wishes), one might say it is a commercial decision to turf the sad fecker, on the ground that it is attracting bad publicity to the organisation and hence denting sales of the product. I'm not saying he breached an implied term his employment contract, just that they might sack him on commercial grounds (and pay him compensation for breaching his contract by doing so).
 
Thank goodness, I thought it was just me who thought this :-) I've tried to broach this with a few people, but the first mention of 'nazi' and people can't back away fast enough. There's also that he seems like a nasty piece of work generally, but nevertheless I find it odd that there's been so little discussion about this.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?